SECURE Act 2.0 is Now Law: What You Need to Know for Your Employee Retirement Plans
An Employee Benefits attorney, Amy Thompson provides legal guidance and training to employers in private, governmental, and nonprofit industries.
She partners with employers to ensure compliance with ERISA, COBRA, HIPAA, the ACA, IRS, and other state and federal regulatory entities. Counseling clients on employee benefit and executive compensation plans, Amy has extensive experience representing employers and plan sponsors in state and federal agency enforcement actions, as well as conducting voluntary employee benefit plans and fiduciary corrections.
- ABA/BNA and Academic Awards for Excellence in Labor and Employment Law
- Symposium Editor – South Dakota Law Review
- Director – Public Interest Law Network
- “ERISA Litigation”, Remedies Chapter, Bloomberg BNA Cumulative Supplement (2019).
- “In Private Letter Ruling, IRS Approves 401(k) Student Loan Repayment Benefit”, JD Supra (Sept. 5, 2018).
- “New Agency Guidance Make Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act Enforcement a Priority”, Employee Benefits for Employers (Summer 2018).
- “IRS Announces Heightened Scrutiny for Tax-Exempt Entities”, National Law Review (March 23, 2018).
- “The FICA Tax Exemption for Non-Resident Aliens in the U.S. Under F, J, M, or Q Visas”, National Law Review (Aug. 2, 2017).
- “TCB on the BIC: DOL Issues Guidance on Application of the Fiduciary Rule’s New Best Interest Contract Prohibited Transaction Exemption”, National Law Review (Nov. 13, 2016).
- “Final Rule Issued on ACA’s Non-Discrimination Provision for Federally Funded Programs”, National Law Review (June 24, 2016).
- “Affordable Care Act Treatment of Fringe Benefits Provided Under Federal Contracts”, National Law Review (Jan. 13, 2016).
- “New Regulatory Guidance Issued on Plan Benefit Suspensions and Plan Partitions for Multiemployer Pension Plans at Risk of Insolvency”, National Law Review (June 26, 2015).
- “Ask and You Shall Receive: ERISA’s Remedies for Non-disclosure”, South Dakota Law Review, 56 S.D. L. Rev. 524 (2011).
- J.D., University of South Dakota Knudson School of Law, 2012
- Master of Laws, Employee Benefits and Tax, John Marshall Law School, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2015
- B.S., M.A, Rhetoric and Compensation, South Dakota State University
- South Dakota