Mr. Schleich concentrated his practice in the areas of bankruptcy (primarily representing creditors); state and local taxation, including sales and use tax matters as well as personal and real property tax matters; professional negligence (primarily defense of accountants and attorneys); and white-collar crime.
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, 1973
- Nebraska State Bar Association, 1973
- Omaha Bar Association, 1973
- Nebraska State Bar Foundation – Fellow
- The Nebraska Coalition for Educational Equity and Adequacy v. Heineman , 273 Neb. 531, 731 N.W.2d 164 (2007)
- Attorneys Joseph Meusey and Michael Schleich successfully argued a property tax valuation protest on behalf of taxpayer Mutual of Omaha (“Mutual”) before the Nebraska Tax Equalization and Review Commission (“TERC”) in January 2002. Mutual is the owner of record of 15 parcels of commercial improved real property located in Omaha, Nebraska. The Douglas County Assessor proposed valuing the 15 subject properties in the amount of $89,525,300 for purposes of taxation as of January 1, 2000. Mutual protested the proposed valuations and requested that the properties be valued in the amount of $50,000,000. The TERC Board found that the actual or fair market value of the subject property as of the assessment date was $50,000,000.
- United States Attorney, District of Nebraska, 1973-1978, Assistant United States Attorney
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
LAW SCHOOL: Creighton University, J.D., cum laude, 1973
COLLEGE: University of Wisconsin, B.A., 1970