Labor and Employment Law Training
Members of the Labor & Employment Group at Fraser Stryker offer a variety of trainings.
- Harassment Prevention
- Lawful Management Practices
Human Resources & Company Owners
- Best Practices in Policy Setting and Compensation Issues
We invite you to explore the available list of training that we offer and then contact a member of our Labor and Employment Law group to schedule a training session for your staff, supervisors, or your Human Resources teams. Click a tab below to review the courses and relevant topics covered.
- Respectful Workplace
- Legal Issues in Recruiting and Hiring
- Unbiased Promotional and Reorganizational Decisions
- Managing and Documenting Performance and Behavior
- Best Practices in Employee Discipline and Termination
- When to Refer Matters to Human Resources and/or Company Owners
Preventing Harassment Claims
- Legal Standards of Harassment Claims
- Establishing Expectations Above What the Law Requires
- Best Practices for Reporting and Taking Action to Resolve Concerns
Avoiding Discrimination Claims
- The Administrative Charge Process
- Strengthening Legitimate, Non-Discriminatory Personnel Actions
- Unique Issues Involving Certain Protected Categories
- Religious Accommodations
- Reasonable Accommodations for Disabled Employees (*Detailed training on solely this topic is also offered.)
- Gender Issues
- National Labor Relations Act for Non-Unionized Employers
- Social Media in the Workplace
- Talking to Employees about Unions - what can/should I say?
- Policies and Enforcement of Work Rules to Lawfully Avoid Unionization
Wage and Hour Compliance
- Avoiding Pitfalls in Employee Classification Issues
- Independent Contractor Classifications
- Overtime Exemption Classifications
- Complying with the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Minimum Wage and Compensable Work Time
- Overtime Pay Issues
- Calculating Overtime Pay
- Fluctuating Work Weeks
- Bonuses, Commissions, and Other Incentive Pay
- Travel Time
- Nebraska Wage Payment and Collections Act: Bonuses, Commissions, PTO and Vacation Pay
Drafting Lawful Employment Policies
- Well-Drafted Employee Handbooks and Policies
- Offer Letters
- Employment Agreements
- Workplace Safety Training
- What Policies Do I Need?
- What to Do When OSHA Knocks on Your Door
- Preventing and Responding to Workplace Violence
- Dealing with Troubled/Troubling Employees
Fiduciary Duties Under The Employees Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
- Who is a fiduciary?
- Complying with ERISA's fiduciary duties, including loyalty, prudence, and prudent diversification of plan assets
- Avoiding prohibited transactions
Managing Employee Leaves of Absence
- The Family Medical Leave Act
- Leave Requirements Under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Understanding the Interplay of FMLA, ADA and Workers' Compensation Leave
- Fundamentals of Workers' Compensation
Protecting Your Customers and Trade Secrets
- Drafting Enforceable Non-Competition Provisions
- How to Protect your Trade Secrets and Customer Relationships
- Employment Contracts - What Provisions Should They Contain?
Conducting Effective Workplace Investigations
- Protecting Employee Privacy in the Workplace
- Conducting Internal Investigations
- Responding to External Discrimination Claims (NEOC and EEOC)`
Patrick J. Barrett
Pat is a partner at the firm whose practice focuses on labor and employment law. He is a former Executive Committee Chair of the Nebraska State Bar Association Labor and Employment Section and the Federal Practice Committee. Pat has been elected as a Fellow in the College of Labor and Employment law. He is listed each year in Best Lawyers in America in the Labor/Employment Section; in Omaha’s Best Lawyers’ Labor and Employment Lawyer of the Year (Management) for 2011, 2012 and 2014.
Pat has been listed as a top tier lawyer in the employment area in Chambers’ America’s Leading Lawyers for Business since 2006. Pat is also listed in Omaha’s Best Lawyers in Omaha Magazine and in Great Plains Super Lawyers, Labor and Employment for 2007-2016 and in 2012 was listed in the Top 10 of Nebraska’s Super Lawyers.
Kathryn A. Dittrick
Kate is a partner in the firm whose practice is devoted to labor and employment and housing discrimination matters. Kate’s practice focuses on preventing claims by providing advice and counsel to employers and property managers on how to avoid lawsuits and administrative charges. She has also developed an expertise in wage and hour issues and litigates all varieties of employment and housing actions.
Kate provides a variety of training for managers and supervisors on best practices and legal implications of their actions. Kate was selected to Super Lawyers in 2013, 2014, and 2015. Kate is admitted to practice in both Nebraska and California, and is a member of the American Bar Association.
Sarah L. (Sally) McGill
Sally practices in labor and employment law, workers’ compensation, and federal court litigation. She counsels employers on a range of labor and employment law issues, including hiring, discipline, terminations, wage and hour issues, and leave of absence issues. Sally also assists employers in drafting legally compliant documents, including workplace policies and procedures, employment agreements, and offer letters. Sally represents employers in employment-related litigation in state and federal court and assists employers in defending charges of discrimination, harassment, or retaliation before state and federal agencies. Sally was selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars in 2015 and 2016. She is admitted to practice in Nebraska and Iowa.
Rhianna A. Kittrell
Rhianna focuses her practice on labor and employment law and also provides services to the firm’s clients in business and corporate law, litigation, and workers’ compensation. Rhianna earned her Juris Doctor from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, high distinction. She is admitted to practice in both Nebraska and Iowa.
Nebraska Labor and Employment Law Attorneys
Contact our Omaha Labor and Employment law attorneys toll free at 800-544-6041 to discuss your important legal matter.
Fraser Stryker PC LLO
409 S 17th St #500
Omaha, NE 68102