Fraser Stryker Attorneys Included in 2023 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
As both an experienced accountant and accomplished transaction attorney, Mark Brasee represents a broad spectrum of clients in a wide range of industries, as well as entrepreneurial start-ups, nonprofits, individuals, and families throughout Nebraska and across the Midwest.
Mark’s law practice concentrates on business and corporate law, real estate law, commercial agreements, finance, taxation, and business succession and estate planning.
Mark’s diverse background and unique skillset enables him to counsel corporate clients in all aspects of business law. Within today’s ever-changing legislative landscape, he consistently investigates state and federal legislation to proactively guide businesses in understanding and navigating the government assistance options available to them. Large or small, his goal is the same: to analyze his client’s issues, create a strategic plan to solve those issues with bottom-line efficiency, and achieve his client’s goals while protecting the interests of the client.
When clients need sophisticated business succession and estate planning solutions, they look to Mark for innovative advice and counsel. Mark’s holistic approach considers not only the client’s personal needs, but also the business requirements, ensuring that clients have a comprehensive plan that protects the future of both their family and business.
An active member of the Omaha community, Mark currently serves on the Board of Directors and in leadership roles for the Methodist Hospital Foundation and the NorthStar Foundation. Mark earned an undergraduate degree in Bachelor of Science majoring in both History and Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting from Trinity University and his Juris Doctorate from the University of Nebraska School of Law. Prior to joining the Fraser Stryker team, Mark worked as an accountant for a top-tier accounting firm where he focused on corporate taxation and banking.
Outside of the office, Mark enjoys spending time with his wife Mary Lou, hunting, fishing, skiing and reading.
Mark can be reached at 402-978-5306 and his assistant, Donna Olson, can be reached at 402-978-5271.
- Appointed by Nebraska Attorney General with input from Nebraska’s Governor as counsel in four cases to represent Nebraska’s Governor and other State officials in education funding litigation
- Douglas County School District 0001 A/K/A Omaha Public Schools (OPS), The Nebraska Schools Trust, et al., v. Michael O. Johanns, in his official capacity as Governor of the State of Nebraska, et al., Doc. 1028, No. 017 (Douglas County, Nebraska). Plaintiffs voluntarily dismiss all claims after five years of discovery with trial approaching. Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General to defend the Nebraska Governor and all other Defendants in a lawsuit filed by the Omaha Public Schools and others challenging the constitutionality of Nebraska’s system of funding public elementary and secondary schools. Plaintiffs’ experts allege that at least an additional $750 million per year must be spent on K-12 public education in Nebraska. District Court dismissed Plaintiffs’ adequacy claims.
- Baird, Kurtz & Dobson, 1989-1991. Staff Accountant, practice concentrated in corporate taxation and banking
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Corporate Law (since 2014) and Real Estate Law (since 2018) (peer nominations)
- Awarded Recipient, “40 Under 40” by Midlands Business Journal 2007
- Certified Public Accountant’s Exam, Successful Candidate (May 1991)
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
- Board of Directors – Methodist Hospital Foundation (2022-present)
- Board of Directors – NorthStar Foundation (2019-Present)
- Governance Committee Chair (2022-Present)
- Governance Committee Member (2019-present)
- Finance Committee (2019-2021)
- Member – Greater Omaha Chamber THRIVE Small Business Task Force (2020-2021)
- Member – Brownell-Talbot School (2007-2017)
- Board of Trustees and Finance Committee (2007-2017)
- Treasurer and Executive Committee (2014-2017)
- Board of Directors – Goodwill Industries, Inc. (2007-2017)
- Chairman, Operations Committee (2007-2009)
- Chairman, Board of Trustees (2014-2015)
- Board of Directors – Child Saving Institute, Inc. (2002-2007)
- Chairman (2005-2006)
- Vice Chairman (2003-2004)
- Secretary (2002-2003)
- Board of Directors – Child Saving Institute Foundation, Inc. (2004-2016)
- Chairman (2005-2006)
- Special Assistant – State of Nebraska Attorney General (2003-2008)
- Multiple articles published to the Fraser Stryker COVID-19 Resource Center, including information on the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”), the SBA Paycheck Protection Program, and other COVID-19-related legal developments for businesses of all sizes
- Seminar Speaker – “Form 990: Key Compliance Points and Disclosure Considerations.” National Business Institute
- Seminar Speaker – “UBTI and UBIT for Exempt Organizations: Mastering Form 990-T.” Strafford Webinar
- Seminar Speaker – “Non-profit Law.” Nebraska Continuing Legal Education
- J.D., University of Nebraska College of Law, 1994
- B.S., Business Administration (Accounting and History), Trinity University, 1989
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska