Jim provides advice and counsel as well as advocacy in a variety of health care law areas including nonprofit corporation law and tax exemption, fraud and abuse, Stark, physician contracting, medical staff matters and privacy issues.
He has represented institutional and individual providers during both the investigation phases and in contested matters before state administrative agencies concerning licensure and reimbursement issues.
Jim has experience in a range of physician practice transactions involving practice formation, acquisition, mergers, practice breakups and development of practice buy in, deferred compensation and buy out strategies.
His risk management and workers compensation practice includes work with many self-insured employers as well as insurance carriers.
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Named Best Lawyers® 2017, 2021, and 2023 Health Care Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Omaha
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2013 in the field of Health Care Law (peer nominations)
- Listed in Chambers USA, America’s Leading Business Lawyers (Healthcare) (peer review)
- Listed in Omaha Magazine’s “Top Lawyers in Omaha” for Health Care Law (July/August 2021 Edition)
- Nebraska State Bar Association, 1976
- Omaha Bar Association, 1976
- American Health Lawyers Association – Member
- National Council of Self-Insurers – Past Member
Presentations & Publications
- Lecturer on Healthcare topics
- American Association of Homes for the Aging, Annual Meeting Presentation
- Lecturer on Workers’ Compensation
- Nebraska Continuing Legal Education – Lecturer on Workers’ Compensation
Memberships & Civic Affiliations
- Lauritzen Gardens, Omaha’s Botanical Center – Past President
- United Way Campaign – Past Member
- YMCA Advisory Council – Past Member
- Presbyterian Outreach – Past President
- Joslyn Art Museum – Membership Campaign, Past Member
- Loveland Community Club – Executive Committee, Past Member
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
LAW SCHOOL: University of Nebraska, J.D., with distinction, 1976
COLLEGE: Denison University, B.A., 1971