Prior to joining the Fraser Stryker in 1994, Mark Brasee worked as an accountant for a top-tier accounting firm where he focused on corporate taxation and banking. This helped create the foundation for his practice, which concentrates on business and corporate law, real estate law, commercial agreements, finance, taxation, business-succession, and estate planning.
Brasee represents a broad spectrum of clients, including companies in a wide range of industries, entrepreneurial startups, nonprofits, and individuals throughout Nebraska and across the region. As both an experienced accountant and accomplished transaction attorney, Brasee’s diverse background and unique skill set enable him to counsel clients in all aspects of business law. Large or small, his goal is the same: to analyze his client’s issues, create a strategic plan to solve those issues with bottom-line efficiency, and to achieve his client’s goals while protecting the interests of the client.
Brasee earned an undergraduate degree in Bachelors of Science majoring in both History and Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting from Trinity University in 1989 and his Juris Doctorate from The University of Nebraska at Lincoln School of Law in 1994.
In addition to his law practice, Brasee is very active in the Omaha community. He has served on the Board of Directors and in leadership roles of the Child Saving Institute, Child Saving Institute Foundation, Goodwill Industries, Inc., Brownell Talbot, United Way of the Midlands, and volunteered for Habitat for Humanity, among others.
Mark Brasee’s direct number at Fraser Stryker is 402-978-5306 and his assistant, Donna Olson, can be reached at 402-978-5271.
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in Corporate Law (peer nominations)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in Real Estate Law (peer nominations)
- Awarded Recipient, “40 Under 40” by Midlands Business Journal 2007
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- Nebraska State Bar Association, 1994
- Omaha Bar Association, 1994
- Nebraska State Bar Association – Military
- Omaha Estate Planning Council – Associate Member
Presentations and Publications
- National Business Institute – Seminar Speaker, “Form 990: Key Compliance Points and Disclosure Considerations” (July 2016)
- Strafford Webinar – Seminar Speaker, “UBTI and UBIT for Exempt Organizations: Mastering Form 990-T” (May 2016)
- Nebraska Continuing Legal Education – Seminar Speaker, “Nonprofit Law”
- Appointed by Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning, with input from Nebraska’s Governor as counsel in four cases to represent Nebraska’s Governor and other State officials in education funding litigation
- Douglas County School District 0001 A/K/A Omaha Public Schools (OPS), The Nebraska Schools Trust, et al., v. Michael O.Johanns, in his official capacity as Governor of the State of Nebraska, et al., Doc. 1028, No. 017 (Douglas County, Nebraska). Plaintiffs voluntarily dismiss all claims after five years of discovery with trial approaching. Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General and attorney for the State of Nebraska to defend then Nebraska Governor Michael Johanns and all other Defendants in a lawsuit filed by the Omaha Public Schools and others challenging the constitutionality of Nebraska’s system of funding public elementary and secondary schools. Plaintiffs’ experts allege that at least an additional $750 million per year must be spent on K-12 public education in Nebraska. District Court dismissed Plaintiffs’ adequacy claims. In 2008, with trial approaching, Plaintiffs voluntarily dismissed their case.
- Baird, Kurtz & Dobson, 1989-1991. Staff Accountant, practice concentrated in corporate taxation and banking
- Brownell-Talbot School – Member of Board of Trustees and Finance Committee (2007–present),Treasurer and Executive Committee (2014–2017)
- Goodwill Industries, Inc. – Chairman Operations Committee (2007-2009), Member Board of Directors (2007-2017), Chairman Board of Trustees (2014-2015)
- Child Saving Institute, Inc. – Chairman (2005-2006), Vice Chairman (2003-2004), Secretary (2002-2003), Member Board of Directors (2002-2007)
- Child Saving Institute Foundation, Inc. – Chairman (2005-2006), Member Board of Directors (2004-2016)
- Special Assistant State of Nebraska Attorney General (2003-2008)
- Downtown Omaha Inc. – Treasurer, Member Board of Directors (2000-2003)
- Downtown Omaha, Inc. Foundation – Treasurer, Member Board of Directors (2001-2003)
- United Way of the Midlands – Planning and Allocations Committee, Member (1997-2001)
- Certified Public Accountant’s Exam, Successful Candidate (May 1991)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
LAW SCHOOL: University of Nebraska, Lincoln School of Law, J.D., 1994
COLLEGE: Trinity University, B.S. Business Administration (Accounting and History), 1989