Paul Shotkoski, a former tax accountant prior to attending law school, has focused his practice on litigation and commercial projects that utilize the skills he developed from his experience as both an accountant and a lawyer. Throughout his career in the law, Shotkoski has focused his practice on complex commercial litigation disputes for clients including international telecommunications companies, national and local insurance companies, providers of federal crop insurance coverage, international suppliers of manufacturing equipment and associated maintenance and repair parts and equipment, residential real estate and commercial real estate general contractors, and a large variety of small to mid-sized companies engaged in business on both a local and national level. Shotkoski’s insurance defense practice involves primarily the defense of insured drivers or entities in tort claims brought by third-party litigants, and usually relates to automobile accidents and premises liability claims. Shotkoski also has extensive experience representing companies and shareholders in a variety of disputes involving the governance and control of the corresponding entities.
Shotkoski also served as corporate counsel for an international distributor of maintenance repair and operating parts and equipment for the manufacturing industry from 2001 through 2003. As a result of that experience, Shotkoski continues to represent clients with complex transactions involving creditors’ rights, security liens and Uniform Commercial Code issues, and matters of general business and corporate law.
Paul Shotkoski’s direct number at Fraser Stryker is 402-978-5258 and his assistant, Julie Hasz, can be reached at 402-978-5283 or via email email@example.com.
Honors & Awards
- Rated BV® Distinguished by Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, 1995, Uniform Commercial Code Sub-Committee to the Commercial & Business Litigation Committee – Co-Chair (2010 to Present)
- Illinois State Bar Association, 1995
- Nebraska State Bar Association, 1996
- Omaha Bar Association, 1996
- Omaha Bar Campaign Committee for Legal Aid of Nebraska – Member (2010 to Present)
- Nebraska Defense Counsel – Member
- Robert M. Spire American Inns of Court – Life Member
Presentations and Publications
- Continuing Legal Education, National Business Institute – Presenter (2011 to Present)
- Notable Cases:
- In 2007, Shotkoski was lead trial counsel on behalf of an international telecommunications carrier in a dispute over monthly regulatory charges brought by a commercial customer. The matter was tried in the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska, captioned West Corporation v. AT&T Corporation, Case No. 8:05CV88. Shotkoski represented AT&T Corporation in that matter.
- In 2008, Shotkoski was lead counsel on behalf of a investor in an action to recover an investment in failed start-up business. That case was maintained in the District Court of Douglas County, Nebraska, captioned Stephen Dryden v. Wilcox, et. al., Doc. 1048, No. 344. Shotkoski obtained a summary judgment in favor of his client.
- In 2011, Shotkoski was lead counsel in defending a client in a complex commercial lawsuit filed in the Circuit Court of Benton County, Arkansas, captioned Hydro-Works, Inc., et al. v. Precision Industries, Inc., et. al., CV-2008-306-5. Shotkoski represented Precision Industries in that lawsuit.
- In 2010, Shotkoski was lead trial counsel on behalf of a corporation in defending claims brought by a shareholder against the corporation and the majority shareholders of the corporation. That matter was tried before a jury in the District Court of Mills County, Iowa, captioned Montgomery C. Dixon v. Pinnacle Construction, Inc., et. al., EQCV024477.
- On behalf of the firm’s insurance clients, Shotkoski has successfully obtained defense verdicts on behalf of insured drivers following a jury trial. Most recently, Shotkoski has successfully obtained defense verdicts on behalf of insured drivers following jury trials in the District Court of Douglas County, Nebraska in Richard Shaffer v. Hannah Sprenger, Doc. 1066, No. 467, and Clifton Hobbs v. Christopher Bahmer, Doc. 1095 No. 189.
- Published Cases:
- Schropp Industries, Inc. v. Washington County Attorney’s Office, 799 N.W.2d 685 (Neb. 2011). Mr. Shotkoski along with several colleagues successfully pursued recovery of documents from Washington County that were allegedly privileged, confidential and protected documents.
- Briant T. Moffett v. Key Associates, LLC, 2009 WL 3777664 (Neb. 2009). Mr. Shotkoski was lead counsel in representing a former owner and member of a Nebraska limited liability company in his claim against the company and its members for recovery of his financial interest in the company.
- Wayne Reinbrecht v. Walgreen Co, 742 N.W.2d 243 (Neb. 2007). Mr. Shotkoski was associate counsel in successfully representing Walgreen in a claim requesting class action status for alleged violations of various state consumer laws.
- Custom Fabricators of Granite and Marble, Inc. v. Lenarduzzi, 610 N.W.2d 391 (Neb. 2000). Mr. Shotkoski was lead appellate counsel in successfully representing a client in substantiating a lower court ruling in favor of the client.
- Attack on Asthma, Nebraska – Board Member and Treasurer (2008 to Present)
- Downtown Omaha, Inc. – Past Board Member (2006 – 2008)
- American Red Cross, Loess Hills Chapter – Past Board Member (1999 – 2001)
- Creighton University Alumni Association, Omaha – Past Board Member (2004 – 2010)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
LAW SCHOOL: JD, Creighton University School of Law, 1995
COLLEGE: Bachelor’s of Science, Business Administration (Accounting), 1989