After participating in the summer associate program, Nickie joined the firm in 2009 as an associate and became a partner in 2017. She primarily focuses her practice on business and corporate law and assists her business clients at any stage in their development. At the initial phase, she helps clients form new entities or buy into existing companies. Once businesses are up and running, she assists in negotiating and drafting complex contracts, resolving disputes under existing agreements, and making wise decisions regarding multifaceted tax and employee benefits issues. Later in the life cycle, she facilitates transitions of family-held businesses, sale or merger of entities of all sizes, and dissolution of companies. Nickie provides these services to clients in a variety of industries, working with small start-ups to established institutions and with nonprofit organizations to lucrative companies. Nickie works with local, regional, national, and international clients.
Nickie has a unique, personal approach to practicing law. Her personal maxim is as follows: “There are only three things a person can control in her life: her attitude, her effort, and her choices.” Nickie’s service to her clients showcases these concepts:
- Attitude: Nickie has a contagious positive attitude grounded in reality, approaching every project with enthusiasm. She builds a rapport with clients, advisors, and adversaries, which leads to collaborative and cooperative relationships. Clients feel comfortable approaching her for guidance, knowing she genuinely cares about their success. In addition, Nickie’s attitude and belief that work can be fun enable her to handle the pressure of stressful situations with ease.
- Effort: Nickie is driven by a constant need for achievement and challenge, which pushes her to work hard, be productive, and create exceptional work product. She is self-motivated and strives to accomplish tangible objectives each day, advancing projects in a timely manner and showing measurable progress. She enjoys the challenge of being busy, without burning out. This drive prompts Nickie to keep acquiring new knowledge and enhancing her current skills.
- Choices: Nickie is a strategic-thinker–considering alternative scenarios, evaluating potential problems, assessing long-term implications, and selecting the most advantageous course of action. By objectively appraising all outcomes in advance, Nickie not only predicts obstacles but also devises ways to overcome or avoid them. She helps clients stay true to their vision and goals while ensuring projects progress efficiently. It further allows her to tailor her communications and work product in light of the audience and issues at hand.
Outside of work, Nickie is a mom to two wonderful children, Charlie and Jude.
Honors & Awards
- Received a 2021 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch recognition for Tax Law
- Selected to the 2013-2021 Great Plains Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list (Mergers & Acquisition, Business/Corporate, Nonprofit Organizations, and Tax: Business)
- Guy Cleveland Chambers Gold Medallion for Highest Grade Point Average in the Class of 2009
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Barristers
- Chancellor’s Scholar for 4.0 Grade Point Average in the Class of 2006
- Various Academic Honors and Awards from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Omaha Bar Association
- Student Bar Association – Member
Memberships & Civic Affiliations
- Fontenelle Forest – Board Member (2021 Board President)
- UNL College of Business Administration – International Business Advisory Board Member
- Leadership Omaha – Class 39 Member
- Omaha Women’s Fund CIRCLES – Member
- Nebraska DECA, Business Partnership Network – Member & Volunteer
- UNL College of Business Administration – Dean’s Young Alumni Advisory Board, Former Chairperson & Member
- Omaha Bar Association Young Lawyers Division – Former Chairperson, Treasurer, Education Committee Chair, and Founding Member
- Various local charity events – Volunteer
- Nebraska Law Review – Executive Editor
- UNL National Moot Court Team – Member
- Delta Theta Phi Professional Law Fraternity – Vice Dean
- UNL College of Law Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program – Coordinator
- Beta Alpha Psi Accounting Club – President
- CBA Student Advisory Board – Vice President
- CBA Student Ambassador – Member
- CBA Academic Planning Committee – Elected Student Representative
- Chi Omega Sorority – Career and Personal Development Chair
- Numerous Academic Honor Societies – Member
LAW SCHOOL: University of Nebraska – Lincoln, J.D., highest distinction, 2009
COLLEGE: University of Nebraska – Lincoln, Master of Professional Accountancy, highest distinction, 2009
University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Accountancy Major; Economics and Communications Minors), highest distinction, 2006